Whether you bake cakes for your business or just as a hobby, it is always fun to get creative and try new techniques and recipes. One way you can create a different sensation to your cakes is by changing up your cake chocolate filling.
There are a lot of ways you can change up your chocolate filling. Find out 3 easy chocolate filling recipes for cakes in this blog.
What Is Chocolate Filling?
Chocolate filling is a type of filling that uses chocolate as its main ingredient. The filling is added between layers of the cake to give it a balanced taste. You can use cocoa powder, cooking chocolate, or instant chocolate filling to add chocolate flavor to your cake.
3 Easy Chocolate Filling Recipe for Cakes
In cakes, chocolate filling is a great way to add more dimension and flavor. Even with the same type of chocolate as the base ingredient, you can create different variations of fillings. You can play with the texture, consistency, and flavor intensity and combination, opening up endless possibilities for your cakes.
Here are 3 easy chocolate filling recipe for your cakes. Each is a different type of filling that can instantly make your cake taste better.
1. Chocolate Ganache Recipe
Ganache is a very widely used type of chocolate filling. In fact, ganache is very versatile and you can use it for almost everything. It is also splendidly simple to make.
The basic ingredients for a chocolate ganache are just chocolate and crema. However, you can add other ingredients to alter its texture and taste. Butter is commonly added to give the chocolate ganache a little more richness and help it shine.
Below is how you make a dark chocolate ganache. What’s wonderful about it is that you can easily put this ganache in a truffle shell and cover it with tempered chocolate before placing it in the fridge to create an intense cocoa ganache truffle.
- Heat the cream to just below boil
- Pour onto the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted
- Add glucose and butter, mix until emulsified
For the complete Intense Cocoa Ganache Truffle recipe, click here.
2. Chocolate Buttercream Recipe
Chocolate buttercream is a type of filling that is silky, smooth, creamy and rich. It is also easy to work with and can hold its shape well, making it also perfect for decorating cakes. You can easily pipe this chocolate buttercream on cakes and cupcakes to add visual appeal.
Here is our recommended chocolate buttercream recipe for cakes.
- Boil the water, sugar, and glucose at 121°C until soft boil stage
- Pour the cooked sugar over the whipped eggs. Mix until it cools off
- Add the butter gradually into the egg-sugar mixture
- Add melted dark chocolate and coffee paste, mix until all are well incorporated
3. Chocolate Diplomat Cream Recipe
Diplomat cream is essentially a mixture of pastry cream or custard and stabilized whipped cream. Being lighter than pastry cream and richer than whipped cream, it is very soft and versatile that you can use it as a light topping, as a cream puff, millefeuille, or tart filling, or you can even eat it on its own.
Follow this recipe below to get a smooth, indulgent dark chocolate diplomat cream.
- Mix egg yolk, a bit of milk, and all dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Heat again the rest of the milk until it simmers. Pour the milk over the egg mixture and make sure to keep stirring, otherwise, it will become scrambled
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat it on the stove again. While continuing to stir, put the bloomed gelatin inside
- Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate and blend with a hand blender until smooth
- Put the mixture on a tray and put it in the fridge for a while to cool down
- Blend the mixture with butter until it is all incorporated
- Lastly, fold the whipped cream into the mixture then put it into a piping bag
Best Chocolate Types for Making Cake Filling
As explained before, you can use different chocolate forms for your chocolate filling. You can use cocoa powder, cooking chocolate, or instant chocolate filling to add chocolate flavor to your cake.
1. Cocoa powder
Cocoa powder adds the perfect amount of bitter chocolate taste to your cakes. It is made of pulverized pure cacao with all fat removed.
2. Instant chocolate filling
For those who have no time to make their own chocolate filling, using instant chocolate filling can be an option. Keep in mind that for this type of pre-made filling, you cannot really control what’s inside, so it’s best to research your preferred filling first.
3. Cooking chocolate
For the most intense chocolate flavor, we recommend using cooking chocolate. You can opt for compound or real chocolate, but for the best tasting chocolate filling, couverture chocolate with high quality such as our Embassy Oceanic Blend Dark Chocolate Couverture 65% is one of the best options you can go with. Its well-balanced dark chocolate flavor gives your cake a bittersweet sensation, and its high fat content gives it a luscious viscosity.
If you need high-quality couverture chocolate for any of your baking, dessert, or chocolate-making applications, then check out our couverture chocolate range on our products page. For more information regarding the pricing, speak to one of our knowledgeable sales reps by visiting our contact page.
For more information about our chocolate products, go to our Products page.