Ice cream and ice cream bars with a dip coating are some snacks you would hardly pass by without thinking of grabbing one. For some reason, this melted chocolate ice cream topping makes the treat look even more delicious than it already is. Plus, the chocolate shell is also super tasty and crunchy! What's not to love?
Thankfully, dip coating for ice cream is easy to make. It requires only a few ingredients, namely chocolate and some vegetable oil. And you don’t need a lot of fancy equipment either, you can also make it solely in the microwave.
In this article, Embassy Chocolate will teach you how to make your own dip coating for ice cream!
Getting to Know the Magic Shell
Did you know that the dip coating for ice cream has a special name? It often goes by the name “magic shell” due to the magical hardening on the top of an ice cream surface. The beauty of dip-coated ice cream is that you can make it in different flavors, including but definitely not limited to chocolate, caramel, and chocolate fudge.
The texture adds to the creamy ice cream, giving an added bonus to the experience. You will long to have the crunch over the creamy texture from time to time.
While you can easily grab the magic shell from a store, nothing beats a homemade chocolate dip coating!
How to make chocolate dip coating for ice cream
There are various reasons why you should consider making your own ice cream chocolate shell. Doing it yourself always gives you room to modify the procedure for more creative results. What is more, you can make it for long-term use, up to six months. What more could hold you from learning this magic shell for ice cream recipe!
You only need two ingredients:
- Melt the chocolate using the bain-marie or microwave method. Make sure it's melted completely.
- Mix the melted chocolate with coconut oil in a ratio of 4:1. Place the mixture in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds.
- Get the mixture out of the microwave and give it a good stir.
- Place the bowl back into the microwave to heat for additional 30 seconds. Stir it again until the mixture is smooth.
- In case the mixture is not perfectly smooth, heat it in the microwave for another 15 seconds until the mixture is free-flowing smooth.
- Once smooth, allow the mixture to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Your mixture is ready to use. Now, you can make chocolate dipped ice cream at home!
- Take a scoop of ice cream. Then, dip the ice cream into a bowl of the mixture. It will harden into the magic chocolate shell even without placing it in the freezer!
- To store the remaining ice cream dip, place it in a glass jar. There is no need to refrigerate the ice cream dipping. The ingredients used are shelf-stable. When you want to use the dip again, microwave it before spooning it onto the surface of your ice cream. The stored dip can last up to six months.
The key ingredient in the mixture is coconut oil. The lower melting point of coconut enables it to solidify fast once it is in contact with the ice cream surface.
You may add more ingredients to enhance the flavor of your dip. However, you should ensure that the ratio of the ingredients of the dip remains good enough to maintain texture and time for effectiveness.
Read more: What Is the Best Chocolate to Cream Ratio for Making a Ganache?
With the simple recipe, you have your quality dip. For quality chocolate, take a look at our array of couverture chocolate products, and don't hesitate to contact us for more information.