Among a plethora of filling flavors out there nowadays, dark chocolate remains a classic that never fails to delight people. Dark chocolate filling gives a rich, decadent flavor that everyone loves. Whether it is used to fill cakes, cupcakes, cookies, pastries or breads, dark chocolate filling adds a wonderful taste and texture.
There are many types of dark chocolate filling out there, and there are a lot of ways to make it. So, what is the best way to make dark chocolate filling? Read on to find out.
Various Types of Dark Chocolate Filling
First of all, we need to know about the different types of dark chocolate filling. Here are three most commonly used types of dark chocolate filling: ganache, buttercream, and diplomat cream.
Ganache is a multipurpose component that can easily be used as a filling. Besides that, you can also use it as a topping, frosting, glazing, dipping sauce, or piping decoration. It is also incredibly simple to make, you only need two ingredients: chocolate and cream.
Buttercream is one of the most common types of filling used in cakes and pastries. It has smooth and creamy texture with a rich flavor. Buttercreams are also easy to work with and can hold its shape well. It has a thick and pipable texture that is perfect to use as a coating and piping decoration. With cakes, you can also use buttercream to cover the sides of the cake.
3. Diplomat cream
Diplomat cream is essentially a mixture of pastry cream or custard and stabilized whipped cream. It is lighter than pastry cream, yet richer than whipped cream, making it a very soft and versatile cream that you can use as a light topping and as a cream puff, millefeuille, or tart filling.
The Best Way to Make Dark Chocolate Filling
Here are the best ways to make different types of dark chocolate filling:
- Heat the cream to just below boil
- Pour onto the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted
- Add glucose and butter, mix until emulsified
- Boil the water, sugar and glucose at 121°C until soft boil stage
- Pour the cooked sugar over the whipped eggs. Mix until it cools off
- Add the butter gradually into the egg-sugar mixture
- Add melted dark chocolate and coffee paste, mix until all are well incorporated
3. Diplomat cream
- Mix egg yolk, a bit of milk, and all dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Heat again the rest of the milk until it simmers. Pour the milk over the egg mixture and make sure to keep stirring, otherwise, it will become scrambled
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat it on the stove again. While continuing to stir, put the bloomed gelatin inside
- Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate and blend with a hand blender until smooth
- Put the mixture on a tray and put it in the fridge for a while to cool down
- Blend the mixture with butter until it is all incorporated
- Lastly, fold the whipped cream into the mixture then put it into a piping bag
Best Embassy Chocolate Products for Dark Chocolate Filling
To make dark chocolate filling, we recommend using couverture chocolate from Embassy Chocolate. Our chocolate has a well-balanced flavor and a great fluidity, making it versatile for many applications. We have 3 different dark chocolate products, each with its own flavor profile that you can use based on your preferences.
Our Embassy Equatorial Blend Dark Chocolate Couverture 56% has an elegant sweet taste with a well balanced chocolate flavor. The Embassy Oceanic Blend Dark Chocolate Couverture 65% has a balanced bittersweet taste with a hint of nuts and fruits, while the Embassy Continental Blend Dark Chocolate Couverture 75% has an intense chocolate flavor that is perfect for true chocolate aficionados.
For more information about our products, visit our product page.